Friday, April 11, 2014

Running from Complacency...

"I am living
 in the midst of the uncertainty and risk,
 amid things that can
 and do bring physical destruction, because
 I am running from things that 
can destroy my soul: complacency, comfort, ignorance.

I am much more terrified of living 
a comfortable life in a 
self-serving society and failing to follow Jesus then I am of any illness or tragedy."

Katie Davis, 
when people asked her if she is afraid to live in Uganda.

When I saw these words on a friend's Facebook post recently,
I did some reminiscing...
When I first was born again,
and the scales fell from my eyes,
I was alarmed at the much complacency and self-service
I saw in the people around me, and I was terrified of
how closely it lapped at my own heels,
like a darkness pulling at me to constantly
get me to succumb to its icy clutches.

I set my face like flint against it.
And have continued to steadily refuse to 
let myself live that way.

It has cost me big time...
but I don't care.

I only live here on this earth once.
After that, eternity.
Why not make the hours count?
Why not do something worthwhile with life,
something more worthwhile than what 
my sinful flesh would do?

I recently was privileged to be in the company
of some new fellow-believing friends.
I learned later that this humble, happy family
has been the brunt of much misunderstanding for their
quiet purposefulness in living simply and unencumbered
by the rush and bustle of society.
They chose to turn away from many things that even
churched people are embracing in droves these days,
and have calmly and quietly chosen to live their
lives in sober watching for the Lord's return.
Their joy touched me.
I was so blessed to see the wife and mother,
an older, godly woman setting a humble example for
others to follow.

Are you making your days count
for the Kingdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...