Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Loving His Way...

This morning I was reading through my journal that I am presently recording life's journey in, having begun this one in April of this year. I came to the spot where I mentioned having gone through 1 Cor. 13 and being impressed in a new way that God's way to love is HUGE and unattainable in my own strength and that it requires a lifetime of learning and climbing higher in it. Then, a week later, I wrote:

"...we hosted Bible study at our house after a long time of not having it here."
(we have Bible study in the homes of the families of our congregation on
Wednesday evenings)
"I enjoyed opening our home to everyone again.
The lesson was taken from 1 Cor. 13~
Love above all else.
Guess God thot I needed that twice in a week's time.
Lord, I know you have put Your gifts in me
for your work and glory, but if I don't have love,
then I am nothing.
Thank You for speaking so plainly in Your Word
for us to follow and know...
lead me in the way everlasting."
 
Then, a few pages later:
"Eagerly pursue and seek to acquire this love
(make it your aim, your great quest)..."
1 Cor. 14:1A; Amplified
 
I am struck with how these chapters flow together.
First chapter 12 tells us to let the gifts of the Spirit
be manifest in us for the work of God in this world.
 
 
 
Then we are told to love, and it is clearly defined for us:
 
Love endures long and is patient and kind;
love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy,
is not boastful or vainglorious,
does not display itself haughtily.
It is not conceited
(arrogant and inflated with pride);
it is not rude
(unmannerly)
and does not act unbecomingly.
Love
(God's love in us)
does not insist on its own rights
or its own way, for it is not
self-seeking;
it is not touchy or fretful or resentful;
it takes no account of the evil done to it
(pays no attention to a suffered wrong).
It does not rejoice at injustice and  unrighteousness,
but rejoices when truth and right prevail.
Love bears up under anything and everything
that comes, is ever ready to believe
the best of every person;
its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances
and it endures everything
(without weakening).
Love never fails
(never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end).
1 Cor. 13:4-8
Amplified
 
I have pondered this passage off and on in a deep way
in the 4 months since I encountered it twice in one week.
 
That kind of love leaves the flesh staggering.
It is impossible!
But with God all things are possible and when we
say Yes to Him and No to 'me',
then it is very possible to love like this.
 
 
 
The other week, I was having a hard morning with my son.
He has some difficulties with things that many boys
have difficulty with, only sometimes it seems he has
them to the nth degree!
But this particular morning, when I was feeling all
knotted up and desperate for the battle to be over,
I began to call upon the Lord for wisdom.
He reminded of 1 Cor. 13.
That kind of love requires me not to be angry and harsh
with  my son.
To ask him to be respectful and to obey?
Yes.
But rude or harsh to him? No.
 
 
 
So after lunch, I decided to spend the afternoon with him.
Instead of taking a siesta in my room, away from the
noise of life for bit.
We played a game most of the afternoon, and then
my daughters gathered in the family room too,
and we ended up all sharing a good afternoon of
conversation and playing games.
 
God's Way works.
My son, becoming a 'macho man' at the ripe old age of 10,
became an absolute snuggle bug that afternoon,
wrapped in fleece, snuggled up against me as we played.
And his heart was in tune with my heart,
and we just had good fellowship one with another.
 
Dear friends, my encouragement to you?
Love in the manner God asks of us.
Let us love because He is love and love is of Him.
 
And our homes will be peaceful on a consistent basis.
The air will be filled with love.
 
 
 
one of my favorite songs about God's love...
sung by orphans who have been shown
God's love by those who sacrificed
themselves to do so...
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...