Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thanksgiving on Thursday...

Recently, I was privileged
to drive to a 
neighboring state 
with one of 
'my girls'
whom
 I was taking to 
Bible School.

What a trip that was!

It seemed the whole
trip was filled
with incredible
moments of Light
from heaven,
and I came home
feeling very humbled
to have been given
SO MUCH
from God.


I took the opportunity to stop by and
visit with my paternal grandmother,
who lives very close to the friends'
house where I was staying.

Let  me just say, 
IT WAS AN INCREDIBLE VISIT!
This Grandma loves the Lord.
I have always known it,
never doubted it.
Even though she is part of a traditional
Anabaptist-descended church group that
is shy about speaking for the Lord,
I am blessed by the godly selflessness 
of  my Grandma.

When I am privileged to go to
her house, I always look with reverence
and an encouraged heart at the little table
by the window in her family room
that holds an open Bible and devotionals.

When I stepped in there last week, I 
told Grandma that this always blesses me,
and she said that she NEEDS to read them.

This Grandma has served countless meals
to my brothers and sisters and parents,
uncles, aunts and cousins over the years.
And she always had a smile on her face
for all of us, and delighted in all of us,
even for all my siblings and I who were
adopted and some of us of varying colors
even though adoption was a fairly new thing
in our  generation among 'our people',
and many 'myths' surrounded us as 
were growing up.
.

This Grandma has known sorrow in her life.
She loved her husband deeply and served him
faithfully in his home and as his secretary for
the feed mill that has been in our family
since 1894, even helping in the business
for over 30 years after her husband died.
She loved her husband thru a sudden and short
bout with cancer and is now a widow
longer than she was married.

And now this Grandma of mine has to watch
her son suffer with that same, awful disease her
husband died from
 over 30 years ago.

When I visited her last week, she spoke
of her husband and her son with tears
and pain in her eyes. It was a blessing to
visit with her,
 and even though it is
not common for 'her people' to 
pray aloud together, I felt the Lord
prompting me to pray with her.

So I asked her if I could pray.
She grasped my hand in hers and said with
feeling, "I wish you would!"

We sat on the old wooden rockers 
in her family room, 
and she took my two young hands in
her wrinkled, well-used and worn hands,
and held them firmly all the while
I took the opportunity to thank God
from the bottom of my heart for this
godly Grandma, for specific ways she
blessed my life through the years.
It was a great pleasure to ask His blessing
and favor upon this godly woman,
and to pray for her to have courage and
peace as she watches her son die.

When I was finished, she squeezed my hands
and kept exclaiming how wonderful it was
to pray together and share our hearts.

And then it was time for me to leave.
As I turned to her to say goodbye,
she firmly placed her hands on
my shoulders, and I was stunned 
and blessed beyond words
to receive a generational blessing
from this woman who chose to
be my Grandma, even though
we have no biological blood
between us!

As I drove down the road, my heart
welled in deep thankfulness for
this unexpected and 
much-appreciated
blessing!
I am so incredibly amazed
at how that blessing has boosted
my courage and my desire
to live my life wholly for Jesus Christ.

I don't think Grandma even knows
what a huge impact she has had in my life,
nor what a tremendous thing she did
by blessing me that night.



I come from a home of broken relationships.
It has caused deep, deep sorrow in my life
all these years, and although I have 
learned to let Jesus be my All in all,
there is something missing when parental
and grandparental blessing is absent.
I understand why it is missing in my life,
and I have learned to live wholly 
without it 
only in JESUS, 
but it still leaves me aching in my heart
for what is missing, that God
has designed for us to have.

My thanks today is rather lengthy...
and I hope that you are ok with that.

I am blessed beyond words
for a godly Grandma...
and for parents who adopted me
so that I could even know 
this privilege.

My encouragement is
that if you at all possibly can,
BLESS your children,
and BLESS your parents...
and grandparents.

It is a great encouragement.
This world is not a friend to grace.
Many are struggling and losing their way.
Let's lift up the hands that hang down,
and let's recognize and acknowledge
Jesus in each others lives.

Go bless someone today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...