Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Morning Musings...

There are many devices in a man’s heart;
nevertheless the counsel of the Lord, that shall stand.
~ Proverbs 19:21


More morning ponderings...
musings while I gardened...

"Follow your heart," they say. And Christians say it, too.
Do what your gut tells you to do.
Do what feels best to you.

But God says...
The heart is deceitful above all,
and desperately wicked,
who can know it?

Jesus says whoever does the will
of His Father in heaven is
His mother, brother and sisters.

Isn't doing the will of God
directly against the choices our hearts
would make?

Isn't basing life choices on what 
our heart tells us dangerous?
Should we maybe not pick up the
lingo and actions of the world
which strokes the heart and 
allows it to rule,
and instead lay down our lives,
our wants, hopes, dreams,
ambitions, preferences, etc
and follow the Holy Spirit
which often leads us to something
that directly puts a sword
in the selfish heart?

I'm not talking about Ephrata Cloister style
sleeping-on=wooden-block-pillows type of
asceticism; I'm just simply saying
that do we know where we have picked up
the lingo of the world and of mixed religion
that does not recognize nor teach 
cross bearing?

Many times I have had a personal preference
but God hindered me from living it out,
and though it was hard on the flesh sometimes,
and I felt neglected
(see how the human heart is deceitful?!),
I later could see the blessing of obedience
to what God called me to do
and I was so thankful that I had not
followed my heart or listened to my gut.


We could argue that we simply mean
(by these phrases)
that we are going to do what 
God is telling us to do.
I ask then, 
would it not be better to acknowledge
Him in it and leave our heart out of it?
Sure, He gave us a new heart and a new way,
if we are born again,
but I don't think we mean that heart
when we adopt the phrase
"follow your heart",
simply because of how we say it.

What are your thoughts?
How can we live more fully 
the Way of the Cross?
Scriptures, thoughts, etc
would be very welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...