Saturday, April 27, 2013

What's For Supper?

 
Green SmoothieNutrition...
something many Americans lack,
thus many of us are actually
starving...
while morbidly obese.
 
Our bodies were designed to receive nutrition
through whole, raw foods
while receiving extra fuel from simple foods
like whole grains, beans, cooked vegetables,
and some clean meats in moderation.
 
Our country is the scene of horrible addictions
to processed foods in the forms of
sugar, fat and processed animal products.
 
Eating high amounts of low
nutrient, processed junk
 creates addiction and greedy, mindless eating.
I know.
I was an addict.
Started as a child,
escalating to epic proportions in my youth and
early adult life.
Addictions are results of habits formed
from choices the addict has made.
My body responded to those choices
by screaming for nutrition and by being
This resulted in many health issues that
had me pretty low and unable to live
a productive life as a wife,
mother, sister, friend.
 
As I started learning about nutrition,
thanks to Hallelujah Acres
and others,
I was appalled at what I had done
to my body.
With that knowledge, came responsibility.
I was committed to feeding my body
God's food no matter if He chose
to heal me of my diseases.
 
One thing that I learned to do was
to eat for health instead of
swallowing handfuls of pills.
 
It is amazing to me that after 6 years of
changing my bad habits and choosing
responsibly, I do not need to
spend arbitrary sums of money on
food supplements and/or meds.
I am getting stronger every day,
and the addictions are not nearly as strong
as they used to be
(removing addiction-forming foods and replacing with
wholesome foods helps this alot!).
I have more energy than I had in my 20's
(I am nearly to the 40's!)
and have few to no issues with the many problems
that loomed large at one time.
 
I have learned that it is important to make
as many wise choices as I can
(still working on this one but every year I find it easier).
For me,
this includes a green smoothie almost every morning,
and sometimes one in the afternoon.
 
Green smoothies are an easy way to increase
nutrition each day, thus feeding our bodies
the good food needed to replace dead cells
with healthy, undiseased cells.
 
I am told that most of the diseases in our country
are the diseases of kings and queens,
because we eat like kings and queens.
We are living the 'high life' and have an inordinate
affection for junk foods that have little or no
nutritional value.
I am told that this generation will be the first one to
not outlive its parents, at the high rate of diseases
that are running rampant through our children,
totally preventable diseases like juvenile diabetes,
cancer, and heart disease.
 
It's horrible and I am so sad about it!
(ok that was a rabbit trail; back to the smoothie subject)
 
Here is my favorite green smoothie recipe. Try it.
It's delicious!
 
Heather & Holly's Green Smoothie
Into a blender or Vitamix, place:
1 rounded T orange/pineapple or orange juice concentrate
3 c water
3 large handfuls kale (I buy it already chopped)
1 or 2 frozen bananas
Blend until smooth.
Add 1 c frozen strawberries and 1 c frozen mangoes
Blend til smooth.
 
I enjoy a 2 cup serving now and refrigerate the rest in pint jars
for up to 3 days.
When I drink a green smoothie, I like to add
1 T ground flax and 1 T ground chia seeds.
Flax is good for heart health and chia seeds (they swell)
help to keep me full and use the green smoothie for a meal.
They are also good for colon 'scrubbing', if you know what I mean. 
 
Here's to good health, God's way and for His glory.
~Marcia
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...