Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thanksgiving on Thursday...



Thanksgiving is an art to be learned, I am discovering through times and places and years that I travel. To practice praise is something that I think many of us struggle with. Somehow it is much easier to moan about the mundane, and to pout about the past, and to scowl about the sorrows that come our way.

Awhile ago, inspired by a woman who has chosen to praise the Lord in spite of sorrows that fell upon her in ways many of us cannot even imagine, I decided to practice praising. I didn't think that I was an unthankful person, but after I started focusing more on praise, I realized just how much the sorrows of life were pressing upon me and threatening to steal my joy. Yes, we should mourn for what is wrong, but we need to be careful that it isn't stealing our joy in Him away.

Joy is a precious gift that Jesus said that He came to give. (see John 15:11)

It is a fruit of the Spirit of the living God in the life of those who choose to walk with Him. (see Gal. 5:22)

As I've focused on praise amidst the sorrows, broken dreams, crushed hopes, lost friendships, and in a place of very vulnerable feelings, I have discovered the POWER that comes through praise!

And as I've become determined in practicing praise, it is AMAZING what I notice and how quickly I can step into the walking by faith and not by sight place that is so needful for the child of God.

Take last evening, for instance.

Green Beans
The last two weeks have been very busy. We have loved hosting 3 sets of guests in 2 weeks, having a huge family weekend 2 weeks ago but it is also summer and the garden is yielding prolifically and the grass grows fast between mowings. I came to last evening, and was weary. But I knew that I didn't want to wait to pick the beans until today because there was school to do and snapping the beans takes time, etc.


So after supper, I went out to the garden with my tote and started picking. The sun was a bit warmish and if anyone knows me, they know I do not like to be overly warm...Then my back started aching...I lifted my eyes and saw my dear, hardworking Farmer striding across the newly mown lawn (thanks to my daughters that afternoon!), coming to help me pick beans. After awhile, Daughter #2 came out to help (despite the fact that she had a headache).

The sun was going down in a blaze of glory as Daughter #1 came to the garden, having done the dishes (and was very tired, I knew) to help us finish picking. By that time, my back was grumbling and I took more and more breaks to stretch it out, while the bumper crop of beans filled almost 3 totes (bushels)!

photo credit: my beautiful friend, Rachel Pauline Stahl


Then I got to the end of my row, and behold, the blue moon (as I later learned that the full moon this season is called), was rising up over the treetops in the back 40. My heart skipped a beat as I stood there admiring it's stunning beauty as it slowly rose above the trees into the dusky sky.

How could I complain or be ungrateful when such riches  are mine?

I have a home, a safe haven from the winds that whip around my ship at times.
I have a husband who is home with me every night and who loves me and cares for me in hundreds of little and big ways each day.
I have 3 beautiful children who diligently help to fill the winter larder and who love to be home with their family.
There is beauty all around me, evidence of my Maker who is over all and through all and yet lives in my heart.

And there is a bumper crop of green beans that saved my husband hundreds of dollars, raised organically. I have freezers to fill for winter provisions and money to  pay the electric bill.

And then I didn't feel like complaining any more.



There is power in praise.
 
And for some reason, I am thinking of this song in relation to this all
so I decided to share it here as well. May you be blessed and changed
by practicing praise to the One who never changes.
 
 
As I practice praise, I find a new place of deep peace and rest
in a Father who has been looking out for me since I was born.
He has had my life planned since before the world ever began.
I find new footing, higher still on the craggy cliffs that
lead Home to my Father.
 
I am safe in His care.
Always.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...