Thursday, October 10, 2013

Thanksgiving on Thursday...

Tree Stump
Awhile ago, I heard a story about 2 skunks sitting on a stump. (Pete and Repeat). Pete kept falling off and Repeat was left. So the cycle would start anew and Pete would climb back up on his stump. Until one day, Pete finally learned his lesson and figured out how to stay on his stump.
 
In a way, that scene is like life. We are committed to God, but in our immaturity, we don't always get it right. We are not always as discerning as we should be. Sometimes when we are given the opportunity to learn of Him, we don't seek Him as we should and then we don't have the discernment and guidance we need to have. But God in His mercy, often sends us another opportunity down the road to repeat that lesson...til hopefully, one day we 'get it' and we walk in the Way He designed.
 
This happened to me in a very real way over the last 5 years. 5 years ago, I was presented an opportunity to walk in the design God has given for families, in particular, relating to the authority He has designed for families. I was undiscerning at first, not helping a friend to deal in a godly way with the situation, but asking the Lord to show me. My heart seriously wanted to know and follow Him and He made good on His promise to let me find Him if I seek Him with my whole heart.
 
As I learned, I mended my ways, but friends did not understand the mending and changes I made. I spent months on my face on the floor many times before God, seeking Him and finding Him and walking in the way He would go. I wondered when or if I would ever have the opportunity to walk in the things He was teaching me.
 
 
 
And sure enough, He gave me another opportunity. Today, I sit with a grateful heart that truly God never lies and that He indeed does reveal Himself and His will to those who seek Him with their whole heart. I am unworthy and humbled that He would show me, a sinner without Jesus, and entrust to me the responsibility of pointing others to Him. But I am also very thankful.
 
So today, my thanks is shouted out for Jesus, the Way...and for the Holy Spirit, sent to guide us into all truth...and for opportunities given to walk humbly before my God, ever being sanctified and molded to be a useful vessel in the Kingdom work of God.
 
Hallelujah! He lives!
 
"Teach me, and I will hold my tongue: and cause me to understand wherein I have erred."
Job 6:24
 
"Shew me thy ways, O LORD;
teach me thy paths.
Lead me in thy truth,
 and teach me:
for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.
Remember, O LORD,
 thy tender mercies and
 thy lovingkindnesses;
for they have been ever of old.
Remember not the sins of my youth,
nor my transgressions:
 according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake,
 O LORD.
Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners
in the way.
The meek will he guide in judgment:
 and the meek will he teach his way.
All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth
unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies
For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great.
What man is he that feareth the LORD?
him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.
His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.
The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him;
and he will shew them his covenant."
Psalm 25:4-14

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...