Saturday, June 7, 2014

Whatever your hand finds to do...

This blog post stirred my heart 
this morning...
and my thoughts come spilling out
and tumbling onto the page...

We only get a short time 
in this world to
 do the work He commissioned
 us to do...

To love...
To preach the Gospel...
To make disciples...
To visit the fatherless and widows...

I am only one person.
I cannot possibly do all there is to do.
I haven't even been called to do all there is to do.
But am part of  Body...
And together we can accomplish the task
 He sent us here to do.

But we can't do that very well if 
we are sitting around enjoying a gluttonous
lifestyle, whether it is three meals a day
 consisting of disease-producing
foods that Americans love to eat!
or gathering unto ourselves many possessions,
or wasting huge amounts of time
on entertainment and
recreation...

We stumble and drop the ball in this job
if we have the narrow vision of
only making money,
 getting glory and
enjoying the American dream...
(which in Biblical terms is simply called GREED).

We falter when we have 'daddy issues'
 (as I read about with some alarm
in an article the other day)
from past struggles that we refuse to
 let go of and be free from so we can 
be useful vessels in the kingdom
(the Bible calls it forgiveness
and laying down our lives to
receive new life in Jesus).

We accomplish small things and have 
shriveled fruit when we focus on 
the wrongs and evils
others have done to us
or against us,
 instead of gazing at the face of God,
 who is our source
of Strength and direction.

What is God calling you to do, 
as part of the Body?
Is He calling you to minister to the 
poor and destitute with physical care?
Is He calling you to pray?
Is He calling you to disciple young people?
Is He calling you to minister to
widows, or to bless the orphan,
or many orphans?
Is He calling you to motherhood, 
raising up sons and daughters to be faithful
in Kingdom work?

Photo of my garden...

None of us can do all of that alone.
But we most likely all could dig in deeper,
 give up ourselves more,
 have greater visions
for Kingdom work needing to be done,
 and waste less time on frivolity and nonsense.

I know I can.
And most likely you can, too.

It has nothing to do with what
I want to do or dreamed of doing
if it is not in the work my Father
has planned for me to do...

"Let us, then, be up and doing,
   With a heart for any fate;
Still achieving, still pursuing,
   Learn to labor and to wait."
(from A Psalm of Life 
by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...