Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Morning Musings...Encouragement Part 2



Goodmorning...
Here are some random thoughts I've been thinking about encouraging and being encouraged:

1. Not all encouragement feels like encouragement. As an encourager, be sure your words are from God and when they are not understood or received, move on in love and blessing your friend in spite of the hurt you might feel at being misunderstood or rejected. It is God's work. Not ours. We are but vessels in His hands.

2. If someone gives you counsel/encouragement/help you don't understand or agree with, I suggest that it is still most courteous and respectful to acknowledge their help. Ignoring their words because you don't know what to say is often the road most taken, but I suggest that it is not the road best taken. You can say something like, "Thank you for thinking of me. This is a very emotional time for me, and I don't know what to think, but I will consider your advice." or "Thank you. I don't know what I'll do yet, but I will think about what you said." or "I have chosen to go (this way in the matter), but I appreciate that you felt free to share. It is a blessing to have friends who care".
And someday down the road, you  may remember their encouragement,
 and actually be able to use it.

3. If someone you give encouragement to does not appreciate your words, don't keep flinging it in their face. Just move on and pray for them instead. Love them and sincerely find a way to wish them well on their journey.

4. Keep your life open to the ministry of encouragement, no matter how lonely you are or how often you are rejected. There are millions of ways to encourage others... A note sent in one the MANY ways we have to send them these days (text, email, snail mail,  hand delivered, chat online, etc etc etc)...or a bouquet of flowers, or some food for a busy mom (just make sure it is food they would appreciate, if you can)...or doing some sewing for a busy homemaker, or whatever it is you can find to help others. This means we will have less time for hobbies, etc so there is time to devote to the ministry of encouragement.

Do you know your friends? Do you respect them? Sometimes respecting a person means that you don't share much with them because they resist you and your words. I have experienced this. I think the best way to 'bless' that person is to release them and let them be who they clearly want to be...and secretly pour out prayers to God on their behalf. God can work where we are pushed aside.
(after all, it IS His work...)

I have been encouraged in so many, many ways. The brothers whose sermons are preached and recorded via video or CD have no idea that I, an often lonely housewife in love with Jesus, have been encouraged to grow and love Him more by their sermons. The friend whose card of encouragement I received on Saturday didn't know how very much I needed it when she sent it, but she sent it in obedience to God. (Thank you, Mrs B...) A friend gave me a basket full of mums last fall...and a friend sent me some flowers a few months ago during a time when I was feeling pretty discouraged...my brother sent me a song clip this morning "Walk your Talk" and I was encouraged to know that he feels I do that (bless the Lord!)...that same brother told me yesterday after he saw a picture of me that I look pretty :-) how nice to hear that when you are fast heading out of the 30's and into the 40's (but I hope it is the beauty of Jesus he saw on my face...)...my husband took the time to ask me this morning (even tho he was on a time crunch) how I am today (he knows better than anyone else that I am struggling with some physical and emotional things right now)...
a friend took the time after church on Sunday to hear my physical struggles and because she is knowledgeable on such things, had some good advice for me, which I greatly appreciated...
another friend asked me after church on Sunday if I am ok because she saw me go outside,
after an announcement about some longtime friends caused the tears to gush from my heart in
a geyser that would have caused major distraction had I stayed in the sanctuary...

I say all this to say that there are millions of ways to encourage people. In order to encourage, you have to know something of the person, usually. But sometimes random acts of kindness can encourage as well. Mind the Lord. He is faithful to show us who we need to be reaching out to and when.



Are you lonely? Do you feel neglected by the people in your life (many people experience this)? Get up in Jesus' name and bless them and others. Lose yourself in worship of Him who came to serve, and not to be served, the One whose name you profess. And in that profession, you take up His life, the way of death to yourself and joy in His new life. Try it. It is a fantastic way to live.

There are days when we feel really neglected or rejected...The truth is, no human being can fill the hole that Jesus only can fill in our hearts. Don't look to people to do that, and you will find yourself blessed and amazed at how many times God uses people to fill a need in your life. Be open to that need being filled however He chooses for it to be filled. 

I have found that the best way to encourage people is God's way. "...speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs..." "...by love serve one another." And I have also found it to be painfully true that some do not appreciate being encouraged this way, no matter how lovingly it is shared. To this I say, keep doing things God's way but it does seem appropriate to keep out of people's faces if they don't appreciate being encouraged with Scripture, etc. Perhaps they need a few encounters with God before they can truly be encouraged by people. Don't walk away bitter, just humbly let God use you wherever He chooses.

Love and blessings to all,
Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...