Monday, November 24, 2014

Three Dollar's Worth...


"I would like to buy three dollars worth of God, please. Not enough to explode my soul or disturb my sleep, but just enough of Him to equal a cup of warm milk or a snooze in the sunshine. I don't want enough of Him to make me love a black man or pick beets with a migrant. I want ecstasy, not transformation. I want the warmth of the womb, not a new birth. I want a pound of the eternal in a paper sack, please. I would like to buy three dollars worth of God, please."  

Wilbur Reese penned these tongue-in-cheek words to capture the unspoken, but very real sentiment of many people. How much of God do you want?"

~from a friend

 
Sobering thoughts that came my way today. Oh to be like Thee, blessed Redeemer, This is my constant longing and prayer! I confess to having come through a time of staggering from exhaustion and disappointment over the many who choose the three dollars worth when I just need to keep my eyes on Jesus and follow His example. It has blessed me to ponder through this year how the secret to Jesus' 'energy and constant servant's heart surely must have been the time He spent communing with His Father. How often He sacrificed sleep in order to go to the mountain top to pray...Yes, to be like Him is my longing and desire!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...