Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Give Attendance to Reading...



Thanks to my little sister Kristina, 
my house is once again getting a deep cleaning, 
with me being determined to downsize again this year. 
We have so much, and things we do not need. 
Why not lighten the load of this old farm house?!

One day recently, the many books we own were pulled off their shelves 
and I took the opportunity to sort through all of them,
 both to downsize the pile (if needed), 
and to decide if anything needed to go 
because it wasn't as edifying as it should be.

and as I sorted, I went on a
trip down memory lane.

When my children were young, 
we made the choice to spend
hard earned money on
worthwhile reading material, 
believing that books can be
a powerful influence in a person's life. 
I bought books that were educational, 
but interesting to read as well, 
and books that encouraged
quality character traits. 

Recently my daughters were
 telling me that they 
realize just how much the books
they  have read have 
taught them things and influenced
them in a good way.
 One of my daughters told me
 that she is just realizing 
how much she has learned from books,
and that as she goes through 
her history in school,
she remembers things she learned 
from the stories she has read over the years.



Books can be influences to help our families
 on to godliness, or they can be influences that help them
 to develop a taste for fluff and a very earthly world view. 

I am becoming aware more and more 
just how important it is to select our reading material wisely.

 It matters.

"Give attendance to reading..."
1 Tim. 4:13



1 comment:

  1. True. I just read a post the other day saying "Christian romance is bad" and its an important choice a person has to make for themselves. Personally, I am okay with it but only if it is "sweet" and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...