Thursday, January 1, 2015

Thanksgiving on Thursday...


It's about time I resurrect this Thursday thing I've had going on my blog! After months of busyness, and dealing with life in a raw and real way, I have come here to dust off the covers of "Thanksgiving on Thursday" to keep us thinking about gratitude.


As I look back on 2014, several threads run bright throughout the year. One of them is gratitude, spreading it's sunshiney yellow hue through the thread of red that reminds me of the amazing gift of abundant life in Christ that I have been given, paid for by Jesus' blood.

It's been about two years since I have been delving more into purposeful gratitude. More than just acknowledging God at meal times, or when we narrowly escape an accident on the road, or when a dispute is settled easily. Since I've begun climbing to new heights in gratitude, I have noticed how many times in Scripture we are told to pray WITH THANKSGIVING, or to not forget to give thanks, etc. Paul's especially seems to have written it often in his letters to the believers.

I have this journal that I've been keeping lately especially for recording gratefulness. Of course I don't record it all, but I do try to purposefully place entries in it a few times a week...

My encouragement, as we begin a new year: be grateful. I have found it curbs the selfish thinking that leaves one feeling she is owed something by others or even God. Thankfulness is certainly an aid in thinking well of others and in being able to be more Christlike in serving others.


Enter into his gates with thanksgiving
and into his courts with praise:
 be thankful unto him, and bless his name.

Psalm 100:4

Involve the family in gratitude to each other.
My sister gave me the idea to hang a paper on the fridge
with several columns:
I (enter your name)
am grateful to (write family member's name)
for (write what you're grateful for)

Recently on Facebook, I found a wonderful idea
to involve my whole family in gratitude:


Go forth and be thankful.
He is worthy.

Life is tough.
Hard things happen.
Sad, sad things happen.
But gratitude tells God
that we believe He is still good,
and are willing to
 recognize  His goodness
in the midst of brokenness
and the ripples of the sin-curse
that touch our lives in very real 
and painful ways.

Happy 2015, friends.
May we make Jesus our everything
as long as He gives us breath.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this jar idea. It is just the thing I would enjoy trying in 2015! Regina O.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...