Friday, August 7, 2015

From My Garden...

My children in the garden a few years ago.

I like to garden. I really do, but as time passes, and my responsibilities are greater, I find that my desire to garden has diminished. It is alot of hard work to raise your own food, and to keep the weeds down. The past few summers, our veggie garden has been sadly neglected, as sickness and busy schedules did not allow much time to devote to gardening. But I MISS it.

At least 10 years ago, I heard about 'no till' gardening from a book I picked up at the local library. I read it with interest and it has 'soaked and simmered' all these years as I've gardened. A few years ago, a friend recommended that I should watch the Back to Eden film, and I put that thought on the back burner but after the third and fourth mention of it over the years by others, I decided this spring I would watch it, especially after I watched this short clip and learned of Ruth Stout's gardening methods:



I was very intrigued. This makes alot of sense to me.
So from Ruth Stout's Garden, I went on to watch 
the Back to Eden film, twice! Once by myself,
and once with the whole family, 
and we are all inspired!

We decided to give it a try.
We are preparing part of our big
vegetable garden for next summer,
and planted just a little plot for some
fall vegetables for our table.

It's been alot of fun so far.
My dad gave us a huge stack of newspapers
that were in his office,
and we've been having fun 
'dumpster diving'
at a local Mennonite bulk food store
for cardboard boxes to lay down
as a weed barrier.


Building the soil through no till gardening
really makes alot of sense to me.
We decided to use what resources we have,
and since we live on a farm,
hay and straw are readily available,
that will be our main cover.
Perhaps we will use ground leaves 
when they are available in the fall.
 
I like to grow my
own food.

 I enjoy preserving
the harvest,
and serving
that food to 
my family
in the winter
months.

I like to know
where my
food comes 
from and
how it was grown.

Being sick, and extra busy for a few summers has helped me to reinforce
the knowledge that it is not a must to do this,
and it is not even possible at times
(hello! we do not live in Bible times or Victorian days
where servants were plentiful!)

But I do like it,
and I enjoy the thought
of maybe having a way
to build the soil and have less
work in the garden simultaneously.



I bought Ruth Stout's book, and hope to 
devour it soon, too.


Here is another video I came across on mulch gardening:




Happy Gardening,
and happy summer to all,
whether you garden or not!

Love and blessings,
Marcia


 




2 comments:

  1. Way to go! This is our first year of trying out alot of these tips. The tiller has been put to rest. We also tried companion planting. The garden looks pretty with marigolds and herbs sprinkled through it. My only problem I had was the white myths laying eggs in the cabbage. I was a little too late spraying garlic and red pepper spray. The garden produced so well, I even got to share with others. And my garden isn't very big. I guess it could be bigger if I planted lots of tomatoes. We do up lots! I never had good success growing them. This year we did put out about 10 plants. But after awhile and I agree with you 100% that gardening gets old and doesn't hold my interest do to other responsibilities calling and needing my attention.
    Today is a full day of doing applesauce, some tomatoes and bottling 3 gallon of kombucha. The 6 short rows of corn need done up this week too.
    I thank the Lord for blessing my little garden with so many healthy foods.
    Love & Blessings to you, Marcia!
    ~ Lois Hege

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lois! So glad to meet a fellow gardening friend. Kombucha?! I want to try that. It's been on my list of things I want to do. We enjoy some kombucha from time to time from our local Wegmans but it's kinda pricey so we try to limit it.

    That fall garden patch I started in the 'back to eden' way is looking beautiful. The beans look so dark green and yummy.

    Love and blessings to you too,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...