Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Of Girls Camp and Prayer Partners...

I was asked by a friend to share my notes 
from a recent
Friday evening's prayer
and sharing time at the girls' camp out
at my house.
 We did a prayer partner exchange
 and with it I gave some 
encouragement from
the Word on  how to 
share/care/pray 
for each other.
I thought I would share
my brief devotional here
on the blog.

The fathers and sons go on an
annual local 
camping outing  together
and the girls, 
feeling slightly left out, 
were invited to our house 
this year to keep me 
and my daughters company 
while the men were away.

We had a good time together,
with much giggling as this
 WAS a girl party, after all!


There were pancake and/or turkey/cheese mountain pies for breakfast the next morning, complete with a brisk autumn breeze with a slight nip in it to remind us that summer is ending and autumn is here.


There was much giggling on the trampoline, and singing Robin Mark songs on the glider swing after midnite,
and sleeping in the open air on the trampoline. (I hope no one else is sick like my daughter is today!)

We made personal pizzas for Friday supper, and had the leftover ice cream from the ice cream social our family hosted a few weeks ago, along with some toppings for that.

After supper, there were games, and more giggling and telling stories as only girls can do. Then we sat on the back porch, the light from the wall encircling us while darkness shrouded the rest of the world.

In the past, we have done prayer partner exchanges at such functions, keeping the partner for three months. I like having this because I think it helps us in our church to know each other in a different way, and if we apply ourselves diligently in service for the one we are paired with, this can be a purposeful way for us to love and bless this one in special ways for a few months, to let them know how much they are loved. I decided to share a devotional on prayer and sharing. Following is an essence of what I said and, as I really didn't have notes besides Scripture references written down, I'm going to try to write down something similar to what I shared:

1 Thes. 5:25
(Scripture is clear that it is 
important to pray for each other)

2 Thes. 1:11, 12
(the main aim of our prayers for each other
should be because we desire that our lives
will fulfill the purpose for which we are created:
to know Him and make Him known)

2 Thes. 3: 1, 2
(we pray for each other
because there is an enemy that is
seeking to destroy,
and who wants to prevent us
from spreading God's fame 
to our world)

James 5:13-16
(we pray for each other when we are sick.
we also confess our needs/faults before each other
at times, and ask for prayer for them. It can be scary to
share our hearts with each other, and certainly we should 
only be doing this after we have bared our hearts before God
and shared mostly with Him, but it is important to 
share with each other because it keeps us humble before
one another, it gives us opportunities to care for each other,
and it draw our hearts together in Him when we share.)

Eph. 5:15-21
(being prayer partners is not only praying for each other,
but it is also a blessed opportunity to share with each 
other using Scripture and godly songs to encourage
one another and lift our hearts to God.)

1 Jn. 3: 14-18
(showing love to each other is the best 
way to show that we truly love God.
Being a prayer partner and being honest with
each other gives us the opportunity to grow
closer to someone, and to learn to know them
in a way that maybe we wouldn't otherwise.
You might find ways of personally showing
your prayer partner your love and care by
sending them a note, or giving them a small gift
that you know they will enjoy, etc).

We ended with a prayer.
I was very blessed. I certainly love 'my girls'
and hope that they will carry these memories 
and the things we teach with them for life.

Love and blessings,
Marcia

PS
I came across this prayer this morning in my time in the Word. What a privilege to carry this prayer on my heart for my loved ones:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...