Friday, October 2, 2015

Of Dr. Stoll and Potato Soup...



On Saturday morning, as I leisurely went about my morning, 
the Lord 'dropped' a web link into my lap for a meeting 
that was going on in Lancaster County, PA, 
a meeting that was a call for revival. 
I scanned the program for the day, 
as I listened to the praise part of the service 
 live streaming from youtube, and out of curiousity, 
I decided to stay to hear what this preacher was going to say
 in the health message that was on the program.

I was in for a treat! 
Dr. Stoll, whom I had never heard of before, 
spoke kindly but with conviction on the simplicity of God's plan 
for us to be well from a daily diet of primarily plants and secondarily animal foods. 
He spoke of our bodies being the temple of the Lord and 
how we are given a plan to bless that temple kindly.
 I was so excited. I have waited 7 years for a preacher to say these things
 to Anabaptist people! 
And the message came so kindly and so respectfully
 that I was just blown away by how 'easily' it was delivered.



If you care to, go to Dr. Stoll's website and find out more of what he teaches. 
He quoted some of my favorite doctors and shared what I've been 
learning and employing the past 7 years 
(falteringly so at times as I struggled with food addictions and the devil).
 I know this message to be true because I live it 
and appreciate the blessings that come from 
honoring the Lord in this way.

Everything about the way we live matters.
 Including our health. 


Let's face it, friends...
the Christian world is not very strong on turning away 
from gluttony. I can say this because 
I too need a pep talk on this. 
We live in a land that has become obsessed 
with food and we are now seeing an epidemic 
of the diseases of kings and queens. 
(read this wonderful article I came across last week. I was so blessed by it.) 
These diseases (heart disease, cancer, diabetes, autoimmune disorders, and others) 
can largely be prevented and they can often be reversed 
just by changing from the Standard American Diet to the simple diet plan 
that Daniel followed, and that God laid out in Genesis 
to Adam and Eve and to Noah.

I am happy to eat "peasant food" and I am happy with how 
deliciously peasant food can be cooked, 
especially when I am not captive to food addictions of 
salt, sugar, oil, and animal foods. 
I walk in freedom today,  thanks to God and to my sister 
who encouraged me in my struggle. 
And I realize that I can easily slip back into my old  
habits if I am not being vigilant.

I thought I'd close this blog post with a recipe for the soup
that I made yesterday. It was both delicious and filling, 
the perfect dish for a gray fall day.

Love and blessings,
Marcia




Aunt Cia's Potato Soup

(makes approximately 6 quarts)

Saute in water or a little olive oil:
2 large onions, diced
4 links Italian chicken sausage
(a Costco find)
6 smallish stalks celery, diced
When vegetables are crisp/tender,
stir in 4 or 6 cloves pressed garlic
and 6 med carrots, peeled and diced.
After sauteing the carrots for 5(ish) minutes,
add 6 large potatoes, peeled and diced,
1 quart vegetable or chicken broth/stock,
2 cups water, and 1 T sea salt.

While the soup is simmering,
cook and mash 2 large potatoes.
After the veggies are soft in the soup,
add mashed potatoes,
1 tsp black pepper
and 2 T dried parsley flakes.

Serve with fresh veggies,
garlic bread sticks (if you wish)
and seasonal fruit.

"...whatever you do,
whether you eat or drink,
do all to the glory of God."
(1 Cor. 10:31)

A young man quoted this Scripture 
during our Bible memory time
on Sunday morning. I thought it
was very fitting for what I had just
heard the day before.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...