Friday, September 18, 2015

The Farmer's Wife...

One evening recently, I accompanied my Farmer and son to a neighboring farm in response to reports that our cattle were out. I off-handedly mentioned that maybe I should go for a walk while they were fixing the fence, and the Farmer invited me to walk the fence line with him. "You'd get your walk in that way," he said and so, having really been missing him these busy days during corn harvest where he barely has time for a quick peck on the lips and a smile as I hand him his supper plate in the tractor, and being a rather impulsive sort of lady (I'm still being changed from glory to glory!), and always up for an opportunity to hang out with my peoples, I hastily agreed to do that pasture walk with him.


Ahem...little did I realize 
what this entailed. 
Imagine me, sort of a known 
'city slicker' kind of lady,
 clad in orange flip flops 
(pretty comfy for walking around the house or the store 
but NOT in a pasture.
 I would have grabbed boots
 if I had known I was doing this!) 
at dusk, dodging cow pies, 
listening to the happy chatter
 of my son, trying to keep up
 with the Farmer's long strides 
AND take a few pics along the way, stepping in holes, fording mucky little swampy places (my boy made sure I had stones to step on),
 skirting swampy areas at my 
son's direction, and then deciding
 to cut up across that humongous pasture to the truck, because I had had 
enough of a workout!, 
leaving my husband to do 
the last corner without me.

(He was so sweet, 
running up after me 
when he realized
 I was cutting it short, 
making sure he walked me 
to the truck before finishing 
because he didn't want 
his wifey to be the first person the young bull decided 
to charge. Had I known this,
 I would not have made the extra work for
 my beloved Farmer, but I did feel very protected!).

I was really glad I made these memories with the men. I don't often get into their farming world like that, preferring to serve my husband by creating a clean and calm home for him, and running errands for him when he needs me to, but normally I stay out of the dirty part of farming. They were thrilled that I was with them.



I was reminded that night of another incident I was in recently that has enforced my heart feelings about embracing my Farmer's occupation and supporting it, even the parts I don't really like...

A little while ago, we attended the NYS Pageant of Steam for my son's 12th birthday, 



and as I sat in the bleachers watching the antique tractors, 
I couldn't help but notice the unique hat the woman in front of me
 was wearing (and later, I noticed she had a tote to match).
Maybe she is a bonafide, diehard country farm girl 
who absolutely loves
Farm-all tractors, but to me this hat spoke volumes
of a woman getting into her husband's occupation/life
and supporting his cause and loving the life he has
created for us.


You see, this Farmer's wife
(me, not the woman sitting in front me me, I mean)
 spent far too many years
griping (in my heart) about taking tailgate suppers,
being 'bothered' to run for parts,
or feeling forsaken during seedtime and harvest
when the Farmer is compelled to work with the
weather the good Lord gives us,
to get his crops in or harvested.

But the Lord did a work in my heart,
and now, I admire the tenacity of my Farmer.
I love to see him doing what he enjoys
(yes, there are parts of his job he doesn't like),
and I appreciate how hard he works to provide
for his family, and to do a job well for his
employer who is also his father-in-law.
I no longer grumble in my heart when I need 
to drop what I am doing on a warm afternoon
at his plea to bring him some water.
It is pure joy to me to take him supper
so that the tractor can keep going 
'before it rains'.

I truly feel blessed 
to be a
Farmer's wife.

Wives and daughters,
I honestly think that it gives
our  husbands a huge boost of
confidence when they know we
love them and support the
work of their hands.
Do you despise the grease that
comes with your mechanic
father or husband?

Do you grimace at needing
to pack his lunch or clean up his
lunch box when he comes home?
Do you find yourself
grumbling 
(silently or aloud)
about the inconvenience of
his work schedule?



Please consider how your attitude
can tear him down or lift him up.
It matters.
It makes a huge difference.
God created us for them.
How well are we doing?

Let's embrace our calling fully
and let Him make us who we ought to be.

And as I close this post,
I do want to clarify that
my Farmer is very careful
and considerate as my
husband. He does his best
to be with his family as much
as he can, even during the busy seasons,
and I am blessed that he makes an effort
to be considerate and kind.



It was me who needed to change my
attitude and embrace his life.
It has made all the difference
in our marriage and in our home.
Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...