Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Details in His Story...

All this school year as my son has read his Bible-based reading stories to me (I really do recommend EMP's 2nd grade reading!), and as I have worked on reading through the Bible this year, I have been impressed with the details that God has taken care of.

Details that would seem like He is not present, or would not allow such things...

Consider the following:

Jacob walked 400 miles to his mother's homeland, as he fled from his brother from whom he had taken his birthright both by subtle bribery (a pot of lentils for a hungry man), and by dishonesty (lying to his blind father). What did he eat all those 400 miles? Did he ever find any shelter, apart from caves and under trees? What dangers did he encounter along the way? I wonder how his mother felt, having helped him to lie, and then needing to live the consequences of unknowns...where was her boy tonight? Is he still alive? She went to her grave not knowing, as far as we are told.

Then when Jacob gets to his uncle Laban's hometown, he actually meets his future wife right off and soon finds a warm welcome to their house. I wonder...how did he not know he married Leah instead of Rachel? Did Laban get him drunk at the feast beforehand or what? Imagine how Jacob felt after working hard for 7 years that seemed to fly by because of his love for Rachel, only to discover that he had been given her older sister?! Details...

Then came more years of working for a shrewd father-in-law/uncle...until one day Jacob's sly ways got back at him and there were some disgruntled relatives.

What Austin (my son) read this morning is the details I am pondering presently:

Jacob called his two wives to the field to have a secret meeting with them about leaving Laban on the sly. Their agreement with their husband blessed me greatly. So while Laban was off over the hills shearing sheep, Jacob somehow kept this mass exodus a secret as he rounded up (didn't it make alot of dust and noise?!) his camels, donkeys, sheep, goats, oxen, calves, kids and then his 12 children and 2 wives and left that town. In fact, Laban did not learn of it for three whole days!

I sit and marvel at that. And I ask HOW is this possible?! But I already know the answer: G.O.D.

I again am quieted with the fact that when God is for something, nothing and no one can stand in the way, no matter how much they try. So I don't need to worry, stew, fret or live in fear if I am walking with Him and obeying His slightest whisper because I am where I belong. And He will keep me here.

I am enjoying the story of Joseph right now in my own reading, but those details that I'm marveling at will wait for another blog post, Lord willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...