Wednesday, December 4, 2013

When All Around My Soul Gives Way...

The Dark Abyss by CaNdyYoSweets

...He then is ALL my hope and stay!

The reality of life sometimes rises so dark and looming, threatening to squeeze the very Life out of my heart...I stood recently at the edge of a great abyss, the blackness of that hole yawning and clutching at my very feet to pull me down into its bottomless emptiness. So many people not living God's design for their lives, creating ripples that spread to GENERATIONS, causing heartache, division, reaction, trouble, sorrow, bitterness and confusion. So many generations rising up without clear vision of that design, so perfectly designed by the Creator of us all. So many children, growing up without clear direction, or only knowing selfishness from parents who are either abusive or passive. So many...

So many churches falling apart. So many people falling away from the Truth. Just like the Bible says.
So many being told lies, mixed religion that does not honor Christ Jesus in His simplicity.

I have heard their cries. I have been among the criers. I have sat beside those who wept from the exhaustion of it all and could not even pray...I have received emails, phone calls, texts and letters from those seeking answers.

And sometimes it just gets the better of me. And I need to take a few days or weeks to process it all.

Which is what happened to me recently. I stood at the edge of that pit and I could literally see the darkness stretching up its long fingers to pull me down into it. I could feel the weariness lapping at my spirit and weighing me down into what most assuredly would have the ability to keep me confined to my bed many days...

But God is faithful. Here are some thoughts He brought to me during this time and I just want to share them with you, knowing full well that many of you may be struggling too.

1. The battle is the Lord's. I am most assuredly made of dust. I am but a vessel for Him to bring compassion, hope and mercy to the multitudes. But the power and the battle is HIS. Not mine. I do not have to make the wrongs right. I do not have to fix the problems. I only need to point them to Him who never changes.
2. Discouragement renders a soldier of the Cross powerless. The enemy doesn't care how he disempowers a soldier. He just cares that he accomplishes it. There is a subtle line between acknowledging the darkness but not being sucked into it through discouragement. That line cannot be crossed as long as I am looking to Jesus and not at the waves that go under my feet.
3. If He calls me to a work, then no matter how lonely, tired, or scared I am, He will see me through it with all the tools I need to do it.
4. Praise. Always, always, in all things, despite heartache and disappointment and a grief that just doesn't dim, GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD FOR HIS WONDERFUL WORKS, and because His mercy endures forever.
5. Faith without action is dead. So..when discouragement laps at my feet, I find it helpful to combat it with focusing on the tasks at hand (serving my family, even going out of my way to do some special things just to say "I choose God...I choose life...I choose joy"; or maybe it is blessing someone else with encouragement; or taking a meal to someone who is busy or sick; or maybe just simply doing a project like sewing a comfort top or cleaning cobwebs from the doorway). I combat it with good music that reminds me of Who I serve and what He is about. I combat it with listening to good sermons and reading Scripture, writing in my journal, and prayer (sometimes with bitter tears because God understands them!).
6. I cannot possibly understand the things that go on in this life. God created perfection. Man messed it up. Christ came to restore. These things are clear. The rest is often seen thru a glass darkly. In order to not lose my sanity, it is best that I acknowledge the chaos all around me but stand on CHRIST the Solid Rock. ALL other ground is sinking sand. ALL of it, even godly brothers and sisters with whom I might be tempted to depend too heavily upon. People everywhere will disappoint sometimes. No one means to disappoint very often. Sometimes it's a difference of opinion or lack of similar perspective or even sometimes a huge character flaw that leaves people rough edged and not entirely easy to lean upon. Christ is the only solid ground we have.
7. God works things out for good to those who love Him. I cling to that hope. I believe it, even tho sometimes with faith as small as a mustard seed. But I choose hope in Him.

Dear readers, this world is not our home. Here we have no continuing city. But we seek one to come. We are not here to stay. In this world we will have much tribulation. If we radically serve Jesus, we will be misunderstood, forsaken, hated, trampled upon, rejected, and neglected. Expect it.

If we are in Christ, we have a responsibility to pass along the things He has taught us. We need to grow up in Him so that we can bring Him much glory and so that we can turn around and help someone (and hopefully many someones!) coming behind.

Weep. Grieve the losses. Acknowledge the reality of the darkness. But hold to the unchanging hand of the One who is LIGHT and in whom is no darkness at all! Praise His name forever.



One day we will walk the streets of gold, overcomers by the blood of the Lamb. There will be no sighing and no crying. All will be peaceful rest. Until then, let us work and wait and expect our Jesus to come soon.

Love and blessings to all,
Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...