Friday, February 14, 2014

Complete Death...

Snowy Sunset in LoxstedtThere was a day when I died; died to self, my opinions, preferences, tastes and will; died to the world, its approval or censure; died to the approval or blame even of my brethren or friends; and since then I have studied only to show myself approved unto God.

George Mueller

On Sunday we had a sermon about Peter,
and his rash, impulsive ways,
which often got him into trouble
and were not what Jesus
would have had him do
(i.e. Cutting off the man's ear...)

I sat there, pondering
and I thought about Peter
AFTER
his repentance
AFTER he had denied Jesus three times,
when he obviously chose to
truly follow Jesus not just in
physical tramping around the 
 countryside,
but in his heart and will...

The Peter after Pentecost
certainly was not afflicted
with man fear...
he preached a simple, but dynamic message
about Jesus
and brought thousands
to repentant faith in the Son of God.

The Peter after Pentecost
plunged himself into living the nature
of CHRIST,
not of Peter...
and instead of impulsive and rash,
he became bold and courageous
in proclaiming the Word...
writing letters of encouragement and teaching
to believers in other places,
words that we can read, even today.

That Peter displays the power that God
has on anyone who chooses to
lay down themselves and live Christ.

I want that.
All my days.
I don't want to be one who
says,
"Well, I'm just human"
when I slip and stumble
and don't reflect Christ as I ought.
I want to learn from it
and move on in humble
following of Jesus,
being conformed more and more
into His image.

May it ever be so.
Until the day I am called Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...