Friday, April 10, 2015

Of Lemon Meringue Pie and Life...



Recently we were 
at a wedding where the 
kindly, grandfatherly minister shared a story from 
his many years of marriage. 
His wife tried hard to make  
his favorite dessert,
 lemon meringue pie, 
but alas, each time,
 she would ask him, 

"Is it like your mother's?" 

 he would have to say 
that it wasn't quite like 
his mama's pie.
 So she would try again.

Finally, one day, she asked her mother-in-law 
what she was doing wrong,
 and heard the reply, 

"You have to use the recipe on the back of the cornstarch box." 
And bliss was found in her lemon meringue pie making department.

And although he was making another point with this story in his sermon,
I thought of this:

I won't get it right in life I don't follow the One who is the Way. 
I won't know the Way if I don't seek Him with my whole heart.
 I need to get my directions from the right place. 
If I expect to get where I want to go, and enjoy the peace that only Jesus can give, 
I need to be living the life He came to give me.

Sometimes, I will also have to ask God's people 
for counsel in how to live life ,
because He designed me to need others.
I am unbalanced on my own,
and can learn much from those
who are walking the Way
and producing the sweet fruit
of the Spirit in their lives.

Do you want the 'lemon meringue pie' of life?
 Get your recipe off the back of the 'cornstarch box'!
And ask seasoned 'mothers in law' for advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always enjoy hearing from my readers. Feel free to leave a Christ-honoring comment.

I Can Trust Jesus...

This quote has grabbed my attention alot. I have had opportunity, just like anyone else in this world, to experience the reality ...